Sunday, March 15, 2009

Casper Shoot Out

Sunday, December 03, 2006
Casper Shoot Out Current mood: uncomfortable Category: Life


I can only imagine the conversation this blog will stir at our house. I have been having so many thoughts and feelings since Wednesday morning when I learned that Dan had been in a shoot out with armed robbers.
Dan is over the moon because he was the only officer out of 5 who shot their weapons that hit his mark. Ok..so he is a great shot...we all knew that already. I mean you don't get to be the fire arms instructor if you can't shoot. Dan feels no remorse for his actions. I am ok with that...I mean the bad guys were shooting at him first. I'm glad he didn't stand there and do nothing.
I am angry at the 6 punks who decided to go on their little crime spree from Craig, Colorado ending here in Casper. What right do they have to mess with the fate of my family?! If I "what if" the whole situation...which I have done. I could have been a widow Wednesday night with 4 young daughters to raise.
I went to the Police Dept. and looked at Dan's patrol car. The bullet hole in the rear passenger door is a blaring realization to me that they were shooting at my husband. It is scary for me to think that Dan was on the other side of the car and if that one shot had been a little more to the left and just enough higher...it could have hit him. Is is reassuring to know that he was ready and had put the extra armour over his uniform...sure..but that beautiful blonde head was exposed.
I want the reality of my life on Tuesday back. I feel like since Wednesday has been more than 4 days but more like a month. Dan is on administrative probation for awhile..most likely until the investigation is over. His chief told me he could most likely come back whenever he is ready but he was waiting for DCI to let him know for sure. We have spent the last few days just hanging out around the house. We did try to go shopping for awhile yesterday but all of the people shopping were making me feel very uneasy. I can't describe the exact feeling I am having. When my grandfather passed away Dan and I were able to get home to Wyoming from California the next day...however I have relatives from Staten Island and it took them 4 days to get here. So the funeral wasn't scheduled until they had arrived. During those 4 days of just hanging out waiting for the funeral was a surreal time as well. I have that same feeling. That we are just sitting around waiting for something to happen. I just don't know what this time.
I am incredibly proud of Dan. He is the talk of all the law enforcement right now here. He did good. He stopped the bad guys. A highway patrol officer also in on the action told us yesterday that the bad guys decided to stop shooting at the cops after Dan shot them. Dan slowed them down enough and got their attention that's for sure.
So what am I trying to say....
I love my husband..I am proud that he is a cop and knows how to do his job. I'm just not so sure I wouldn't rather have him be an accountant now.

1 comments:

Living in oblivion said...

I wonder if it was his Marine training that kicked in....? Ha! Good thing Dan is on the good guys side!!!