SSHHHHH I have secret...
And since I know there are just about 3 people out there in the world who actually read my blog, it's probably safe to share it here.So what's the big secret? This may come as a big surprise to the 3 of you, but I have never not even once attended a college class. Oh there have been a couple of times when I have thought about applying at the local community college in Casper, but money always seemed to be an issue. So why is this a secret. As I have thought about it, mainly because it's kind of embarrassing to not have continued with my education when it's so important. I have no good college stories to share, no experiences with roommates, good, bad or ugly. Well I guess unless you want to count Dan as a roommate for the last 20 years.? It's just uncomfortable to have to dodge the "Where did you go to college?" question.
So I've decided that it's time to be proactive about my life. I no longer have babies or toddlers to trip over. The girls are all in school full time, I mean seriously Shelbylyn is graduating from high school in a year. So I took the plunge. In April I applied for FAFSA, applied for admission to the College of Southern Nevada and have started down the road to college attendance.
Today I went to the college and took the English and math placement test. Ok let's be honest. That did not go so well, even though I had been doing the practice math test online. It's been 20 years since high school and I barely graduated because I sucked at math then! So I placed into Math 93 ,which is total remedial math that won't even count as credit. Oh well, maybe I'll actually learn something this time since I'm paying for it! I have to wait 2 weeks to get my English score, but let's be honest, I'm not expecting a super great score on that one either.
So I am one step away from enrolling into classes. I meet with a counselor on June 6th. By then all the paperwork, test scores and whatever other hoops I need to jump through will be done.
So things I am looking forward to:
Buying crazy expensive books
Making my brain grow and learning new/old things
Being able to say at the age of 38 I started college for the very first time.
Some things I am not looking forward to:
Homework (yuck)
Tests
Driving in traffic to get to school
This is going to be hard. I realize that. Several times along this process I have wanted to shred all this paperwork and just say never mind. So worse case scenario I try college this semester and say ok this isn't for me, best case scenario in a few more semesters I graduate with a degree in something.
So the secret is out. I am finally starting college, instead of just talking about it.

1 comments:
Wow! This is great. This isn't something to be embarrassed about, but something to be proud of! Good luck!!
Post a Comment