Monday, January 13, 2014

Disney Wonder Cruise Day 2 Sunday 12/15/13 Day at Sea

Of course my internal alarm clock did not get the memo that we were on vacation!  I was awake by 6 am, way to early to be awake on vacation.  I watched some tv.  I love Disney cruise television.  They have several news channels, but it's all Disney stuff mostly.  So they have the Disney channel, Disney Junior, ABC, ABCFamily, BBC, Discovery, Fox News and then a channel each dedicated to Disney classics, Pixar films, animated movies, and one for cartoon shorts.  Also they have channels that play just one movie at different starting times throughout the day, this trip there was Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, The Great Gatsby, Crique De Soulei at World's End, The Host, Smurfs 2 and The Makeover.  I am missing at least one, but whatever it is was so memorable that I never watched it or know the name of it.  Also on the tv is a channel that has a map which shows the current ship location, speed of  the ship and weather ect.  

A screen shot of the map on the TV.



There is also a channel that is a camera on the front of the ship so you can "see" where you are going.  Ok enough about the tv because really we aren't here to watch tv, but that doesn't mean it's any less awesome.

The kids all found their way up to Beach Blanket Buffet for breakfast.  The adults  were holding out for our  10 am reservation for brunch at Palo, (the adult only, you must have a reservation restaurant).  I had been looking forward to this for months!  I had read lots of trip reports from other cruisers with suggestions of what to eat.  I had a list.  Our server was Ashlie and I forgot where he was from.  He learned our names, found out a bit about our families, brought us glasses of sparkling cider and then gave us the "tour" of the brunch buffet along with showing us the entrees that could be made to order.
Palo Brunch


 Food heaven is what Palo Brunch should really be called.  There were 5 tables in the buffet section, they were all beautiful to look at.  So table 1 was a bread/pastry table, from which I had an almond croissant.  There were lots of other yummy looking things but I didn't come to fill up on bread folks!  Table 2 was an impressive spread of cheeses with several types of crackers.  I don't remember the flavors I tried but everything was good.  Table 3 was fruits and other small bites I'll call them.  My hands down favorites were the prosciutto with melon and the asparagus, prosciutto with hollandaise sauce.  I went for seconds they were that good.  Table 4 was the seafood table.  I enjoyed the crab legs, the shrimp cocktail (had several of these as well) and also the caviar.  It was extremely salty.  Other than salt, I can't say it tasted like much.  Definitely not a favorite.  Dan and James both ordered the tomato soup which they both agreed was the best they had ever had.  Sandi ordered strawberry soup, and if I remember correctly eggs benedict florentine.  I ordered oysters rocker feller.  I had decided that this would be something new to try.  They weren't bad, but given other options to try I would go with option 2.
Oysters Rockefeller
 We also tried the chicken parmesan, which melted in your mouth.  I also enjoyed a grape and gorgonzola pizza.  Such a good combination!  I loved it!  So finally we still had to tackle table 5, DESSERTS!  What a beautiful table.  Most were small single bite offerings that made it easy to try multiple things.  My favorites were the lemon curd tarts and the chocolate cake bites.  I also enjoyed a chocolate dipped strawberry that was a big as my palm.  Palo Brunch was SO worth it, and I would put it on the must do again list.

After leaving Palo we went to our room to change into casual clothes.  We found Courtney waiting in line to meet the Princesses.



 I stayed with her and if I remember correctly Dan and James went to watch Thor 2 at the movie theatre.  After meeting the Princesses Courtney returned to the kids club for some activity.  All the other girls were off somewhere.  My late/early morning were catching up with me so I found myself back at the room where I took a little nap.
Renae playing shuffleboard.
Watching a movie on funnel vision from the pool.

Courtney coming down the Mickey slide.

 After the movie Renae & Dan played a little shuffleboard.  Courtney enjoyed swimming in the pools.  I think she may have been the only girl who really used the swimming pools.

Port holes you can sit in and watch the ocean go by.


The beautiful Christmas tree in the lobby.

Dinner was formal night, so we all dressed up in our fancy clothes.  Tonight we ate in Animators Palate and the menu was The Golden Mickey's.  For dinner I ate the spiced asparagus with citrus, the mixed baby greens salad with pears and pistachios and for my entree I had the grilled NY strip with baked potato and asparagus.  Dessert I had creme brûlée.

Looking fine,  Fitzroy our server watches over the Gibbons.


The show tonight was The Golden Mickey's.  A broadway style show awarding golden Mickey's to different Disney shows.  It was very well done, and Tarzan was super nice to look at.

After dinner we took a walk outside on Deck 4.
One of our favorite pictures from vacation…too bad not all 12 of us could fit in one little elevator.


After the show we spent some time looking around the gift shops.  At 10:15 pm we went to Wavebands to watch the adult Freddy Fusion show.  His show was crazy science and magic.  It was a really good show.  After that was 80's Flashback. Let's just say we are a little rusty on our 80's music when in a name that tune in 5 notes or less format.
Something must have been funny.



 After we got back to the room we ordered room service, BLT's, a cheese plate, fruit bowl and buffalo wings.  The girls returned just in time to share.  It was a yummy way to end the day.

Mr. Towel Bunny


0 comments: