Everyone was up early. We had traditional German kolaches for breakfast. Sandi and I made a quick trip to the Temple for some last minute things at the distribution center. Shortly before 9 am we all piled into the cars and drove to the pet kennel where we dropped off Cooper and Phyn. Then we were off to Galveston. It was an easy drive and took about an hour and twenty minutes. What I didn't know was that Sandi was terrified driving the whole way! Who knew. After all this time I had no idea that driving in the big city on the freeway makes her nervous.
 |
| Sandi's serious driving face. |
 |
| Following the husbands into Galveston |
Traffic was what I would consider as light, and I would have driven had I known it made her so nervous! Once in Galveston we parked in the lot James had pre-arranged. Everyone found a seat on the shuttle after the suitcases were loaded.
 |
Our first glimpse at the Disney Wonder!
|
 |
| So cute! Look at Delanie, she had the most fun trying to photo bomb every chance she could. |
 |
| Excited to be just a shuttle ride away! |
After a short 5 minute ride, there we were next to the Disney Wonder! Such a beautiful ship. We all grabbed a suitcase and entered the terminal. Once the bags were turned in we continued on through security where we had to show our passports and birth certificates along with our cruise documents. Once through security we went directly to a Disney agent who took our cruise documents, issued our Key to the World cards (these cards serve as your room key, and is also how you pay for anything on the ship), along with our
SILVER Castaway Club lanyards. That's right folks, we've done this before!
 |
| Captain Mickey and The Slattery's |
We then spotted the mouse of the hour,
MICKEY! There was no line and we went right away to have our pictures taken with our favorite mouse. Courtney and I then got in line to get her kid club bracelet. This bracelet would allow her to check in and out to the kids clubs, I've heard it's kind of a tracking device as well but have read conflicting reports about that really being the case. Before we made it to the front of the line they started boarding. Our boarding group was 4 and the Gibbons had 3, but we actually ended up boarding around group 8 since we were still waiting to finish kid club registration. It was fine though because as soon as we had Courtney's bracelet, off we went to board!
 |
| Walking to board the WONDER. |
We took a group picture, waited on the gangway and then before we knew it we were being announced.
"THE DISNEY WONDER WELCOMES ABOARD THE SLATTERY FAMILY"
As we stepped aboard cast members cheered and clapped welcoming us. I know this is so cheesy but it still brings tears to my eyes just even typing about it today, such a fun, special moment. The fun had really officially begun.
Sandi and I stopped at guest services to drop off our canvas boards for all the characters to sign, while the rest of the family headed to Parrot Cay for yummy lunch buffet. When we joined the family at the table I felt the stress float away, vacation had officially started without a single hitch. It was time to sit back and enjoy the ride, LITERALLY! Lunch was of course yummy and I had the first of many peel and eat shrimp. The weather was definitely December weather, grey clouds and windy. BRR! After 1:30 we were able to get to our stateroom. Our luggage began arriving, so we started unpacking.
 |
Dan and I shared this cabin.
|
 |
| The girls were right next door. Decorating your door is fun and also helps you remember which one is yours. |
As soon as we were settled in and grabbed our jackets we headed to Deck 9 for the Sail Away Party. Streamers to wave were given to everyone and we got our first glimpse of all the rest of our favorite characters. It was definitely cold though!
 |
| Delanie being her silly self. |
After the Sail Away Party we went up to Deck 10 forward to watches we pulled out of Galveston. Did I mention that it was
COLD, like wind blowing in your face winter time cold. We saw dolphins off the port bow, maybe it was really Ariel! The ship sounded it's horn (another bring tears to my eyes moment) and soon we were on our way.
 |
| View from the front of the ship. That is the crew pool that we never see get used. |
 |
| Coast Guard boat that led us out of the harbor. Galveston's port is not that pretty really. |
 |
| Delanie, Shelbylyn, Sierra & Kayla getting out of the wind for a moment. |
 |
| Sandi showing her true craziness! Dan managed to get in this one too, but just his reflection in the glass. |
We had been assigned the early dining rotation which meant we had dinner at 5:45 followed by the evening show at 8:30. Our first stop on our rotational dining tour was Triton's. This restaurant of course is themed after The Little Mermaid. We found our assigned table #10 and met our servers, Fitzroy from Jamaica and Orlando from the Philippines. The menu tonight was the french menu. I had the escargot, (I like), I agree with Renae who thinks it tastes like Italian sausage soaked in butter and garlic, french onion soup and for my entree I had the lobster macaroni and cheese. For dessert I had the creme brûlée (a favorite) and the grand mariner soufflé. Oh yes, this was off to a great start! After dinner we proceeded to the theatre to watch Welcome Aboard! The show was good but there were better shows in the future.
 |
| Table for 12! |
 |
| Escargot! |
 |
| Yummy desserts. |
After the show everyone split up. The kids all went to their clubs to hangout, and do whatever. Dan and I took a walk up on Deck 10. It was still a bit cold but you could tell it had warmed up quiet a bit. Since we left out of Galveston we of course were cruising through the Gulf of Mexico, off in the distance we saw oil rigs and what could have been tankers. It was dark so we could really just see the lights. Finally around 11:30 or so we headed to our room.
 |
| Our towel puppy and the Navigator with tomorrows activities. |
Dan was almost instantly asleep but I stayed up until almost 1 waiting for all the girls to come in. I know 1 am curfew! It was late, later than we even allow at home, but seriously we were on a cruise ship, they were all at organized Disney planned activities and we had a the stranger danger talk at least 10 times, so where could they go!
2 comments:
You left me hanging. What happen the next day and the next? I love reading all of your adventures.
Looks like such an amazing trip so far! We are such Disney maniacs we really should do one. I'll be looking for more posts!
Post a Comment