Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Just when you think things are going well...

you fall off the boat into the frigid cold waters. And that is just what has happened this week.

Yesterday while Dan was at work he was helping a lady get her car unstuck from a snow drift. Well as her vehicle was coming free, Dan felt his arm rip free. He said he felt three pops and could feel his arm "shredding" like a cotton ball.

Luck for him the fire chief was on scene. Dan managed to one arm drive his patrol car back to the station and the fire department met him with the ambulance at the police station. So they load him up and get him to the hospital.

Just as I am almost ready to walk out the door yesterday to take the little girls to school I get this call from the hospital. Now when the number comes up on caller id I am of course thinking "who could be calling from the hospital"? Yeah well it happens to be Dan calling to tell me he is hurt and needs me to come to the emergency room.

So they get him all set up in a sling, have his appointment at orthopedics made. So off we went. At orthopedics we learned that he had indeed ripped the tendons and muscles of his bicep off the bone. The super bad news just kept coming...surgery will need to be done to fix it and the recovery, therapy stage could be as much as four months! We then had more xrays, blood work, mandatory EKG because of prior heart damage. (remind me that we all survived that one)

Surgery is scheduled for Thursday unknown time since it is outpatient..we have to call tomorrow for his time. I had to juggle my work schedule so that I can drive him.

I have started to fill out the worker's compensation paper work. Of course we need a different form for the disabilities payments, and when I called to find out the address of the office here in Casper, much to my dismay they are closed today due to the weather as well. So tomorrow I have to get that squared away as well.

Dan is grumpy and pouty that he is off work for awhile. One of the first things he said was "this is going to screw up my DUI average".

2 comments:

Carrie Stuart said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so sorry. It brings the memories of the last one flooding back, doesn't it? Wow! There is no rest for the weary.

Take care, and you guys will be in our prayers!

Living in oblivion said...

Oh man!!! OUCH!!! I am soo sorry! Tell Dan he will be in our prayers for a quick recovery to keep his DUI average from falling to far off the radar! We'll keep you in our prayers to stay sane during the recovery process!!!