Friday, July 22, 2011

Summer is marching on....

Summer is moving right along at quite a pace.  I have been working crazy amounts of hours and I do mean crazy.  Last week was a 58 hour week for me. 

Shelbylyn, Delanie & I just got home from Girls Camp today.  It was quite the experience, some good,some bad, some exhausting.  That's what camp is all about right?  Let me just tell you one little piece.  This morning Sister Hein (our ward camp leader) and I were up and ready, I suppose with the promise of going home today our motivation was high.  Her husband brought a full size truck with an enclosed camper shell type cover up the mountain to take all the "stuff" home.  So first thing even before the girls get up Sister Hein and I load our belonging into the truck.  So all the girls (16 in total) get up and going and take their "stuff" down to the truck.  It ended up being filled almost beyond full, it took pushing and tucking to get the doors closed it was so full.  At about this moment I realize that the key to my car that must transport 6 girls and myself is now deep in the depths of 18 people worth of "stuff".  There was no way on this planet that I was going to ask that we unload and start over I mean we are talking at least a hour of work.  I borrowed a phone, because they were on the "don't bring to camp list" and only certain Stake leaders had theirs for emergencies.  I called Dan knowing that he was at work.  Unfortunately he was the only officer working in Mills and so was unable to leave and bring us the extra key, but he is a brilliant man!  He radioed one of the Sheriff's Department Deputies that we are pretty good friends with and asked him if he would come to the house and get the key from Renae and Courtney and drive it up the mountain to us. Still his area to work...so it wasn't like he wasn't "working".  Thankfully Ken was more than willing to do us this favor.  So I dried my tears and went back to supervising the girls with the cabin cleaning so we could go to breakfast.  We were at breakfast when I saw Ken pull into camp about an hour later.  Yea! He totally saved my day.  We were able to leave camp on time after camp awards, thank goodness!

So what about Nevada.  Well after much research and online study, I told Dan that I was not sure that moving to Pahrump was really such a great idea.  First of all they do not have a Pizza Hut there, and Dan could possibly die just from that alone.  There is no movie theatre, no Wendy's, no Target...you know the necessities.  And I had been reading the local paper online.  I was really quite disturbed, in recent months authorities have arrested not one but four teachers for child abuse!  Many, many articles in the paper also outlined the misuse of city and county funds.  It just didn't sit very well with me.  So Dan contacted LT. Larsen and asked if he could still change his mind about where he would be posted out of.  Thankfully he said no problem to changing Dan's city to Las Vegas.  So now I have been looking for house in Las Vegas which is a much more daunting task.  Dan has his poly, phsyc and medical test on August 1,2 & 3.  He and I are leaving on July 30th and driving down to spend a week.  He will do all his testing, plus we will spend 1 day with the realtor looking at houses.  We are also planning on going to some sort of show and a nice dinner to celebrate our 18th wedding anniversary that is coming up on the 12th of August.  He is a bit worried that being red/green color blind could eliminate him from the position, and I suppose we will just wait and see.  Our house has been on the market for 3 weeks with no offers.  If this is ment to be then it will happen, and if not we move onto Plan B of the Slattery's need a new adventure.

1 comments:

Living in oblivion said...

hahahahaha, looks like you have totally started your new adventure! no turning back now!!! :)