Tuesday, January 26, 2010

King of Fire

Unfortunately there will be no pictures to go with this blog.  I am just not that fast with the camera, especially when faced with my kitchen burning down.

Anyway yesterday I was sitting at the computer trying to wake up so I could get ready for work.  Dan was in the kitchen being the wonderful husband that he is cooking dinner.  He had a whole plan, fried chicken, green beans, mashed potatoes.  Real dinner. 

He had the pan with grease on the stove.  Unknown to us he had the temperature set on high.  There was a sudden whoosh of flames, and I'm talking flames!  He put the lid on the pan as everyone in the house started screaming.  Shelbylyn managed to stay calm and was yelling for baking powder.  Well Dan being the unsafe kitchen man that he is, picks up the pan and starts towards the front door.  To which Shelbylyn yells "No Dad your not supposed to do that!"  He does manage to get the pan outside just in time to have it flare up again.  He dropped the pan and shattered the glass lid.

During this time I had managed to make it to the garage and grabbed this big bag of baking powder from the Gibbons (thank you Gibbons...not for moving to Australia but for the powder).  Dan and Shelbylyn got the baking powder in the pan and that was the end of that grease fire.

The house was filled with smoke and thankfully no one was hurt.  All the kitchen cabinets were also spared in this adventure. (darn it, I could use a new kitchen).  I would just like to thank the junior high cooking teacher for teaching Shelbylyn just last week what to do in a grease fire.  Thanks to this most recent incident I know what the next topic of Family Home Evening will be.

And just for the record this is not the first time Dan has started a fire in our kitchen...it's the 3rd.  Hence the dubious name of The King of Fire.

3 comments:

Carrie Stuart said...

The THIRD? Seriously? Guess they knew the right guy to gift with the baking powder, lol!

free FONT said...

hello! warm greeting!

you can get unique fonts in our website

Living in oblivion said...

Oh My Gosh!!! Glad all is well! Maybe next time you'll get your new kitchen wout damage to the rest of the house or your peeps!