Monday, December 8, 2008

Christmas

Well the Christmas tree is up and decorated. We have also managed to make it to Hallmark for this year's ornaments. Time is passing quickly this year. It is amazing when you work outside of the home how many things you just don't feel like doing.

As far as Christmas traditions go we have managed to keep some going. We enjoyed the annual Christmas parade. The weather was chilly and there was a slight breeze but it was beautiful weather compared to years in the past. We have the advent calendar on the wall and Courtney reminds us each day to put up the next character. She is looking forward to the more interesting ones since in the beginning the pieces are all animals. We have decided not to have our annual Christmas party this year. I need a year off. I know lots of friends and family look forward to this each year, but I just don't have the energy to put a food and games together for 60 people. We are looking forward to driving the streets to look at Christmas lights...perhaps tonight since on we are unsure of work schedules for Christmas Eve.


We had the privilege of being the family in the Christmas program at church this past Saturday. It was about a family who forgot about the true meaning of Christmas and only focused on the Santa aspect of Christmas. Of course at the end we remembered the true meaning. It was nice to be asked to participate. On that note can I just mention the things that I will find memorable from that...well first the girls "were all nestled" in their beds. So they had their pillows and blankets and their "beds" were the stage floor. Renae was quiet restless and I had to keep whispering to her to lay still...however Courtney took her role literally and really did fall asleep. At first I hadn't noticed but then it caught my eye that she had not moved at all and had that flushed sleep face on. So we let her sleep and when we got to the part where we were supposed to wake the children up..she did slowly join the rest of us. The other memory I will keep is the fact that Dan and I had to kneel through ALL of the verses of A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. For those of you not familiar with that song...it has 8 verses. My knees were fine it was my feet that were more than a little tingly by the end. And Dan helped me up so I won't trip and my dress...he's a good man!

I hope that you are enjoying the season where ever you are. And I hope to get a Christmas letter and cards going soon. I wouldn't really look for them to be on time though.

2 comments:

Sandi said...

We really enjoyed seeing your family in the program and James was hoping that you would "bust a move." I really did not want to put the tree up this year but James and the kids got it out of the attic on Sunday and we put it up and decorated it. Now we are just trying to keep the cat out and the dogs from chewing on the ornaments.

Living in oblivion said...

You are too funny! Awesome on the falling asleep during the play! Too cute! Wish we could have seen it!!! I totally scaled down this year too, just enjoying the season and not stressing on what i have to do! LOL Hope you guys don't have to work on Christmas!! UUHG! Merry Christmas!!