Thursday, May 1, 2014

Books I've read April 2014

Again I didn't get much reading done this month.  I am thinking about picking up a book on CD at the library since I now spend an hour of my day driving to and from my cushy job.  I enjoyed all three of the books I read this month.  I didn't read my book club book of the month.  I am going to try and read it durning May, which is probably unrealistic when I look at my calendar and all the things that have to get accomplished before Shelbylyn's graduation in June.   Anyway I digress.  I LOVED Orphan Train.  I think everyone should read it.  It was a look back at a part of the history of the U.S. that I think gets forgotten.  I had read about orphan trains before, but this story touched my heart and made it real.  There are several f bombs in the book, which I absolutely hate.  Even with that being said, I still think you should read it, it's worth your time!




1.  The Company of Good Women: Surprise Packages
                 Nancy Anderson, Leal Littke, Carroll Hofeling Morris


Twenty years later, the friendship that began at a BYU Education Week continues as Juneau, Erin, and Willadene discover that life is more than living by a checklist of events and accomplishments. Through letters, phone calls, and visits, the three women support each other in the face of whatever life brings- offering comfort during the sad times and celebration in the happy times. Surprise Packages, the third volume in The Company of Good Women series, will resonate with women readers who will find their own quirks and anxieties within its pages.


* This book was so hard to follow.  It could be that I hadn't read the first two in the series, which I really don't think was needed.  It just has SO many characters, it was to keep track of who was who, at least it was for me.  I basically just read and kept track of the three main characters.  Their stories were very good!



2.  The Heiress of Winterwood
         Sarah Ladd



Amelia Barrett, heiress to an estate nestled in the English moors, defies family expectations and promises to raise her dying friend’s baby. She’ll risk everything to keep her word—even to the point of proposing to the child’s father—a sea captain she’s never met.
When the child vanishes with little more than an ominous ransom note hinting at her whereabouts, Amelia and Graham are driven to test the boundaries of their love for this little one.
Amelia’s detailed plans would normally see her through any trial, but now, desperate and shaken, she’s forced to examine her soul and face her one weakness: pride.
Graham’s strength and self-control have served him well and earned him much respect, but chasing perfection has kept him a prisoner of his own discipline. And away from the family he has sworn to love and protect.
Both must learn to have faith and relinquish control so they can embrace the future ahead of them.

*This was a very quick read.  Another completely clean, no bad words or scenes love story.  It is a historical christian romance.


3.  Orphan Train
         Christina Baker Kline


Penobscot Indian Molly Ayer is close to “aging out” out of the foster care system. A community service position helping an elderly woman clean out her home is the only thing keeping Molly out of juvie and worse...
As she helps Vivian sort through her possessions and memories, Molly learns that she and Vivian aren’t as different as they seem to be. A young Irish immigrant orphaned in New York City, Vivian was put on a train to the Midwest with hundreds of other children whose destinies would be determined by luck and chance.
Molly discovers that she has the power to help Vivian find answers to mysteries that have haunted her for her entire life – answers that will ultimately free them both.




0 comments: